3

First Steps

Thursday, January 31, 2008


When I first embarked on my “All You Have To Do Is Ask” journey I was very timid. I learned very early on that it helps to take small steps. The first hurdle that I had to overcome was that it's okay to get what you want. Let me explain, I like to eat meat, I'm a carnivore. When I order a steak I like it to have a warm pink center and I like it to me juicy. If you're a steak eater you'll probably recognize this as being cooked to medium to medium rare. Other folks I know like their's cool, pink and mooing. I also know those who want theirs to look like a meteorite that just entered the atmosphere, burnt to a crisp.


About now you're asking yourself “what does this have to do with anything”? My point is that we're all individuals and that our tastes are all different, and that's the way it should be. If everyone wanted things the same way that would be just plain boring. It's our differences that make life interesting. So if you like your steak cooked medium then why should you be expected to eat one that was cooked well done? You're not! Restaurants are in the business of catering to their customers desires. They want people to be happy because when a customer is satisfied they come back (and sometimes they even bring other people with them). Remember, a happy customer is someone who comes back and tips well.


So now it's time for your homework assignment. Next time you go out to eat and something is not quite the way you would like it, take the following steps:


  • It a pleasant and respectful manner let your server know what is wrong.

  • Ask them to correct it.

  • Also ask to speak to the manager.

  • If your server does a good job and corrects the problem let the manager know what a good job the server has done.

  • If the server hasn't dome a good job, let the manager know what the problem is and ask them to solve the problem.

  • Finally, remember that the server is not responsible for the quality of the food but they are responsible for the service you receive. If the server has provided good service tip them well regardless of whether the food was good or not


If you need assistance figuring out what to tip the Original Tipping Page can give you some guidance.


Finally, remember, it's okay to expect to get what you order and to get it “All You Have To Do Is Ask”!


3 Responses to "First Steps"

Anonymous Says:

Why go thru all that and take the chance of being labeled a whiner and call all that attention to yourself when you can just go someplace else. The only exception is opening day but if they have been in business for awhile they should do it right the first time. And I love when they ask you "was everything ok" I always reply "why is it cheaper if it was'nt" and they usually say "no" so whats the point in asking? Oh ya so they can improve ya whatever!!!

Trish Says:

Kent,
I just wanted to thank you for being the only blogger who updates his blog LESS than me!!!

Hee hee hee!!!

Trish

kap Says:

Gee, thanks Trish for pointing out how remiss I have been in keeping up with this blog. I do have several ideas for post and you can expect something later this week.

Kent